Friday, April 30, 2010
Show us Your Life - Saving Money
Today we are participating in Kelly's Korner - Show us Your Life - Saving Money.
My husband is so greatful that I LOVE to save money. Here are a few things that I do....
1. No credit cards. No exceptions. This saves us thousands of money each year by not paying interest.
2. Coupons! I love coupons. I have learned that you can save hundreds of dollars if you do them correctly. I've been using coupons for years, but it has just been over the past few months that I have really been using them to their full potential. You can get so many things for almost nothing by combining coupons and shopping smartly. I learned most of what I know from Southern Savers. She is amazing. She has lists of all of the good deals from the major stores, and the links to all of the coupons that you can print out to save even more money. You can even print your grocery lists from her site! CVS has become a wonderful place to save thanks to her help! You know it's a good deal when the lady checking you out says, "How did you do that? Can I have that paper???" haha!
3. Grocery Shopping. I've started shopping by what is on sale that week, not by what we want to eat that night for dinner. I try to only grocery shop once a week to keep from impluse buying. This saves us so much money. I have a Randalls, HEB and Kroger within a mile of each other, so I usually spend about 2 hours on a Saturday morning hitting each on, list and coupons in hand to get the best deals. Hubby thinks I'm crazy, but he loves the money that we save. I do get the side eye from time to time, like when I bought 10 cans of diced tomatos because they were $.10 - but he is learning that I know what I'm doing! And, I NEVER take him with me. He costs to much...tee hee!
4. TJ Maxx and Ross. I have found some great clothing deals at these stores. I have to be in the mood to hunt - and to wait in a long line...but when I am I usually get some great steals!
5. Budget. I balance our checkbook each morning. I am a Dave Ramsey follower, and all of our pennies are accounted for before our check comes in. We are budgeted out through the rest of the year. I know it sounds crazy, but planning like that allows us to prepare for expenses like weddings, vacations, homeowner dues, etc. and allows us to save for fun goals that we have too. I love knowing exactly where our money is going and how it is working for us.
Thank you so much for reading! If this is your first time here, welcome and thanks for stopping by!