Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Heartlight

For those of you that do not know me or my family personally, you have probably never heard of Heartlight.  Heartlight is a Ministry for troubled teens.  We are confident that they saved my little sister's life about 7 years ago.  Without going into the long story, she got into some bad situations and a terrible crowd, and we had no idea that she was suffering from Bi-Polar disorder.
After many heartbreaking months of running away, drugs, and times that we thought we may lose her, my parents made the difficult decision to send her to Heartlight.  I am pretty sure that my parents would tell you that was the hardest decision that they ever had to make.  And, the best one. 
Heartlight is now something that is so near and dear to our hearts.  My little sister has turned into such an amazing young woman.  She graduated from college last year with a Math degree and her teaching certificate.  She is teaching math at a community college and has found her calling.  I tear up even as I write this.  She has come so far and I am so, so proud of her.  We attribute her change of heart to God's Work at Heartlight.
Each year, Hearlight travels the US to raise money to help families that cannot afford to send their children there.  It is an all encompassing facility that includes highschool programs, ministries, rehab, and counseling for these teens that have lost their way.  If you are ever looking for a charity to donate to, I can vouch that Heartlight is a very worthy cause.  If you know a family that has a struggling teen, please send them the website.  Mark & Jan Gregston are the founders, and are just amazing people.  Mark has a daily radio program, and tons of literature for parents.  He holds seminars and will take the time to speak with parents, offering them support.
Here are a few pictures of our family from the charity dinner in Dallas this year.
 
My family.  How blessed are we?  I'm so thankful.

My little sister and Mark Gregston.  My, they have come a long way! : )  She was his success story at the dinner this year.  I couldn't be more proud.  I can only imagine how my parents feel!

3 comments:

B said...

Wow. What an amazing story! Good for her :)

Anna said...

What a lovely story. God is great!

michelle ellis said...

Thanks Ladies! God is AMAZING!!!