Monday, April 11, 2011

Bed Rest...

My pregnancy has been so easy.  I have been so blessed throughout this entire process.  Well, we had our first bump in the road today.

Last night, around 9PM, I started getting a headache.  By the time we were going to bed at 10PM, my head was throbbing.  I took two Tylanol and went to bed.  I woke up every few hours, thinking, gosh, my head is just pounding!  I sure do hope it stops before I get up for work!  When my alarm went off this morning, it was still pounding.  The thought of staying home and resting crossed my mind, but I took a vacation day on Friday, and I knew that I had things to address on my desk.  So I got ready, taking a couple of breaks to lay down, drank 2 bottles of water, decided against the contacts, rocked the glasses, and headed into the office.

By 10AM, I was on my 6th Tylanol in 12 hours, and I emailed my Mom about my headache.  She did some research and suggested that I call the doctor, just in case.  I am so very thankful that she did.  Aren't Moms just the most amazing people ever!?  I swear mine knows just what to do in every situation.  I'm so grateful for her.

So, I called the doctor and asked if there was something else I could take, or if it was okay to keep doing what I was doing.  They called me back about an hour later, and requested that I come in.  They said it's not normal this far into my pregnancy to have a headache for that long.  So off to the Dr. I went.

My blood pressure is high compared to my normal readings.  The nurse told me that he would probably check me into the hospital.  This made me want to cry.  I didn't want to go to the hospital!  Not today, not yet!  When I saw my Dr. he said I could stay home instead if I promised to stay still.  I swore I would.  I had blood drawn, and he sent me on my way.  So, I am taking valium, and banished to the bed or sofa until Wednesday morning.  The good news?  My headache is much better after the valium and my cherry coke.  Yep, the first caffine I have had since I found out I was pregnant.  Hey - doctor's orders! : )  Oh, I've saved the best part for last - starting tomorrow I have to collect all of my urine for 24 hours.  Nice.  In a big orange jug.  And, it has to stay cold.  The nurse said to fill a bathroom trash can with a plastic bag, and put the container in it, and fill the can with ice.  Kind of like a champagne bucket.  I'm thrilled.

All kidding aside, Jaxson is doing wonderful.  His heartbeat is strong and right as it should be.  I'm okay too, my Dr is just taking precautions and trying to keep me safe and healthy.

So, hopefully I will be catching up on your blogs tomorrow!!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Poor friend, so sorry you are going through this! Hopefully this is just a small bump and by Wednesday you will be feeling better and back on your feet!! Love ya bunches, hang in there!!

Kelly said...

Praying for you friend!!!!

Unknown said...

oh my gosh - sending good thoughts your way, good to hear Jaxson is ok, take it easy my friend!

April Lynn | Our Little Loves said...

oh no. Hopefully it's just some high BP and no pre-eclampsia! I went through blood tests for it a few weeks ago and am being monitored due to high BP also. Luckily they caught it and are having you stay down. Keep us updated.

Laura said...

Praying for you, I hope things continure to get bed from here on out.

Ali said...

Oh no! Hope you feel better very very soon!

Jessie said...

Sorry to hear about the bump in the road. I will keep you in my prayers and will pray for smooth sailing from now until the day your sweet Jaxson arrives!!! :0)

B said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this. FEEL BETTER! You'll have to message me who your doctor is (since we're in the same area) i LOVE my doctor, and i'm curious if he's the same that you have!

michelle ellis said...

I can't thank each of you enough for your prayers and well wishes! I am truly touched and it means a lot to me! Thank you!!!

Nicole-Lynn said...

Aw you poor thing! It must have been very hard at times to remain on bed rest! I am glad it all worked out for the best though..