Friday, February 5, 2010

Beauty Must Haves

Show Us Your Life with Kelly's Korner

On Kelly's Korner, the Show us Your Life for today is beauty products. I am a hair girl. I have naturally frizzy, wavy, thick hair - and it has taken me all of my 28 years to figure it out. In my older age, I've embraced my hair and started enjoying it. Notice that there is nothing about make-up in this post. I wear it everyday, but it is not something that I really enjoy. I don't like trying new things, but I don't love the things I use everyday either. My make-up treats always come from my Mom - and she buys the best stuff!! Anyway, below are my hair must haves. If you have curly hair that you straighten, I strongly recommend them.

Yes, this is a toothbrush. Not just any toothbrush, but the Walgreens Dobson Large Head Firm Toothbrush. I know, it looks like something that your Grandfather would use, but it is THE BEST teasing brush I have ever had. My old hair stylist recommended this to me, because I was having a really hard time teasing my hair with a regular brush. It is amazing, and I can work in little sections without making a rat's nest on my head. And, it's little, so I can carry it in my little clutch when we go out for touch ups. At $3, it's a beauty steal.

I live in Houston, and each and everyday feels a little tropical. We have a ton of humidity here, which is really hard on a girl with curly hair. I use this Biosilk Silk Therapy everyday after I finish styling my hair. A tiny little drop smooths my hair and protects it from the humidity. I usually reapply at the end of the day if we are heading out somewhere. Word to the wise - if you try this DO NOT put it on top of your head. You will look like you haven't washed your hair for a few days. It's oily. The bottle costs around $15 - and will last you for years.

I don't remember life before this brush. I have to give my Mom the credit - she discovered it and purchased it for me. It's called The Marilyn Brush - Double S Pro Round Brush - 3 inches. I love, love, love it. Every morning, I blow out my crown, and the hair that frames my face at a minimum. This brush does it all. It's a little heavy, and your hand will be a little tender when you are done with a full blow out, but it's worth it. I have had it for 3 years, and it is still like new. It's a little expensive, around $40 - but I consider it an investment.

And, I think it goes without saying that I could not function without my 1" Chi Iron. It saves me so much time and effort - I don't remember what I did before I had it! Truly worth the investment.

What are your beauty must haves?

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh, I LOVE BioSilk Silk Therapy!! I'm so mad I forgot to include that on my post. I use that every day -- Couldn't live without it!

Cody Sharene said...

Love the silk therapy! TIP!: It's WAAAY cheaper at Sams Club! Oh and you can use it as a skin moisturizer, did you know that? Love the blog! <3 Native Houstonian!

Lesli said...

Okay I am so getting a toothbrush..lol!! You have some great tips..thank you! I have always used biosilk, it is great! BTW, I love your blog title and picture..that is priceless!!

Have a great weekend..

michelle ellis said...

Thanks so much ladies! I had no idea you could use biosilk as a skin moisturizer!!
Hope you are having a great weekend too!

Melanie said...

I live in Katy, basically Houston, so I completely here ya on the humidity! My hair is wavy so I couldn't live without my big round brush either! I will have to try the "teaser" brush! =)