Saturday, August 14, 2010

Scale Make-Over

Hubby and I decided that we were going to have a no spend weekend.  We spend so much unnecessary moola.  So, what does a weekend at home mean?  Cleaning, Crafts, and cleaning out the DVR.  On Friday night, we watched Rocky Balboa.  I've never seen any of the Rockey movies (I know, I know...) but this was actually a pretty good movie.  It grabbed my attention pretty early with a sweet story, and I enjoyed it despite the bloody boxing match at the end.  But, just in case I didn't like it, I decided I needed something to keep my attention.  I have been thinking about Modge Podging my bathroom scale since I came across this tutorial.  So, I decided to give it a go.  I had some of this pretty black and white fabric on hand, and I just took our regular old white homedics bathroom sale.  First I turned the fabric over, and traced the outline of the display onto the white side of the fabric.  Then, I cut out the circle.  I covered the front of the scale with a thin layer of Mod Podge Matte Finish and placed the fabric on top.  I let it dry for about 10 minutes, and then started working on the sides, applying Modge Podge and wrapping the scale kind of like a present. 

 I let it dry overnight, and then did another coat this morning.  After a few hours, I applied a coat of Ceramcoat Exterior/Interior Varnish Gloss so that I would be able to clean it in the future.  Have you used this stuff?  I am IN LOVE with it.  I usually buy mine at hobby lobby, but discovered that Amazon carries it as well while I was searching for a link - good to know!

Here's the finished product...
What do you think?  Hubby says the fabric is girly, but much better than the white scale.  I love the black and white against our maroon wall.  Overall, very easy project that cost nothing and took a couple of hours!

6 comments:

Kelly said...

LOL I love it!!

Wendy said...

I love it!! :)

And I haven't seen any Rocky movies either :/ but one of these days I will! :)

Morgan said...

cute! it makes weighing yourself seem so much homier, as opposed to the white scale. What a great idea!

Kerbi said...

I have never seen this done before! Love the idea!

Liz Martin said...

Wow! this is amazing!! Great job!

That Crazy Ajumma said...

I love it!
Mine is white and I tried so hard to scrub it clean a few days ago and it just didn't get the tidy look I was after.
I would have never thought to mod podge it.
Great job,thanks for sharing!