Friday, June 4, 2010

Show Us Your Life - Random Acts of Kindness

Today's Show Us Your Life is Random Acts of Kindness.  I LOVE random acts of kindness!  I just think they make people's days.

For some reason, I am always compelled to help elderly people.  This seems to happen at the grocery store quite a bit.  Sometimes they can't reach things from the scooters, or I see them eyeing bottles of water or something else heavy, and I always offer to help.  My grandfather rides a scooter at the grocery store because he only has one leg, and I always think of him having trouble at the grocery store when I see other grandparent looking types.  Sometimes though, they aren't very nice.  The Mr. says that sometimes offering help to a man (as a woman) can be insulting.  I learned this after offering a sweet looking older man help with one of those huge water bottles.  (not the gallon or the next one, but the next one).  He was trying to shimmy it off the shelf into his basket, and I, of course, thought of my Edaddy, and wanted to help.  So, I sweetly said, sir, can I please help you with that?  I got a not very nice remark back about he can do it himself and why don't I take my nosey little self somewhere else.  Of course, my oversensitive self went home and cried about the mean old man.  After talking it over with the Mr. though, I realized that he was probably very upset and frustrated that he couldn't do it himself and it really wasn't about me.  I still did the right thing, I think : )  I haven't let it stop me yet!

Hubby and I also do things for our neighbors.  Just little things, like putting their trash cans up by their garage after the trash service comes, returning toys, balls and riding things that get left behind, and grabbing the occasional dog that has sprung free.  They do the same for us, and it is so wonderful to have such great friends right down the street!

My last act of kindness sounds shallow, but it is something I have watched my Mom do for as long as I can remember, and I think it is the sweetest thing ever.  When I was little, I always remember her stopping to tell dressed up little old ladies that they looked pretty.  She would tell me that she thought it was probably hard to get old, and to keep trying to keep up your appearance after so many years.  She said that it was nice to let people know that other people noticed your efforts.  I don't know where she learned that, but it is so sweet to watch someones face light up when you tell them you like their shoes, their hair, their outfit - or just that they look pretty!  I mean, it makes my day if someone tells me that I look pretty (shallow, I know, but I know some of you feel the same way!).  Let's face it, our husband's don't always remember to tell us that they think we are beautiful, and it is so nice to hear it from someone else every once in awhile.  So, I tell people often that I love something about their appearance, strangers or not.

I can't wait to hear about your random acts of kindness!  Link up to Kelly's Korner to check them all out!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a terrific list!

I especially love that you and husband do things together. What a great thing to have in your marriage!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

A super list...Trying to catch up some blog reading...and love these random acts...one of my favorite things to do....
Love your blog..
Hope you will stop by for a visit. I have a guest post from my son this weekend...