Friday, May 7, 2010

Show us Your Life - Kids Names

Happy Friday!  If you are visiting from Kelly's Korner, welcome and thanks for stopping by!

Show Us Your Life with Kelly's Korner
Today we are participating in Kelly's Korner, Show Us Your Life - Baby Names.

We are a tiny bit scared of starting our family.  We just don't feel quite ready yet.  We've only been married a year, and we want to have a couple more years of enjoying each other and being selfish before we have a baby.  I'm 28...I have plenty of time....right??!!!  (If I don't, please don't tell me.  I really truly don't want to know - ha!).  Hubby says he is nowhere near ready, but he keeps talking about other people's babies and what other people say about starting their families, so I can tell that it is something that he carries on his heart and seeks opinions about.  I am confident that God knows what is best for us, and I pray that he will tell us when it's time, and that we will be quiet and listen to him.

Now that being said...let's talk names!  That is the fun part, right?  Hubby and I have always talked about baby names.  When I was little, my favorite girl names were Melody and Stacey.  I still adore them.  Hubby, not so much.  Isn't it funny how when you know someone that you didn't really like you couldn't possibly use their name?  So, lately I have been loving the name Grace.  I don't know why, but I think it is just so sweet.  I'm not sure about a middle name yet, I have some ideas, but I'm not sure.  There is a certain special family member that I would like to honor :)  But she reads this, so I'm not telling!

I never really dreamed about boy names.  I love the name Houston, but I'm pretty sure that would be silly to name him that while we lived here.  So, that's out.  I also love Bryce, but our neighbors named their son that, so I would feel funny using it too.  I want to honor my Daddy somehow if we have a son.  He has no living brothers or sisters, and two daughters.  The Adams line ends with my sister and I.  Isn't that so sad?  That is part of the reason that it took me almost a year to change my last name, I didn't want to let it go.  His name is Jerry Wayne Adams, so I want to pull a middle name from that somehow, I'm just not sure how just yet. 

Hubby wanted to name his son Jeff Jr.  I vetoed that one quickly.  I know what you are thinking, wow, that's mean, he just wanted to pass on his name...no - that is not what he was doing.  He said, "Wouldn't it be great, when people call the house, they would say, Is Jeff there?  and you would say, Big Jeff or Little Jeff - hahahaha!  That would be so cool!  Yeah, not doing that.  So now, he has decided that he would like to name our future son Rhys.  Kind of like the peanut butter candy without that last -es pronounced on the end.  He saw it on ESPN and just loves it.  We shall see how that goes.  I'm not sure how I feel about that one...

I can't wait to read all of your baby names! 

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!

14 comments:

Whitney said...

I love it!! :D Great story.

Laura said...

I have seen Rhys used before buy only as a middle name. I like it though. I think Grace is a beautiful name.

Rikki said...

You could always use "Adams" as your daughters middle name. Grace Adams sounds so pretty and it's VERY southern. I love Rhys for a boy so handsome and strong!

The world is hers said...

I'm a visitor from Kelly's Korner!

Did you happen to play Barbies when you were younger?? When I saw both Melody and Stacey that's the first thing I thought of! Then again, I was sort of obsessed with Barbies :)

michelle ellis said...

Rikki - I love the idea of Grace Adams! It does sound very Southern, and as a girl that grew up in Alabama, that just feels like home to me. Thank you!

michelle ellis said...

Taryn - thanks for stopping by!
Oh yes, I LOVED barbies! I didn't even think of that - I'm sure that's where those names probably came from! Thank you! I always thought that the Stacey doll was just too cool :)

Liz Martin said...

DH and I always try to come up with some baby names too. It usually happens when we here a cool name on TV. My favorite names for girls are London, Kennedy, Harper, Ava (becoming way to popular, maybe a middle name). For boys Memphis, Cooper, Grayson, Colin.

I like the name Bryce to, but we know a Bryce so we can't use it. I hate it when I like a name and I know someone who has it or I don't like them.

Lindsey said...

what a cute story! i love that you want to honor your families.. what about adam as a middle name? to carry on your tradition of your maiden name? and i LOVE the name rhys - i have a friend who just named their little boy it - and he totally fits the name!
hope you have a great friday

Rachel Moss said...

I love passing on family names, too. If we have a son, his middle name will be Jeremy (my hub's name).
If you have a son, why don't you name him Adam?

Decor To Adore said...

I have been blessed to be a a wife and mother for 21 years now. You will know when the time is right to start your family. You are wise to enjoy one another. When you do decide to have a baby my advice is not to share your baby's name with anyone. I can't tell you the horrible comments we received when announcing we wanted to name our daughter Audrey. With our son we were tight lipped and it was actually quite fun to keep people guessing.

michelle ellis said...

Laura, thank you so much for the advice and encouragement - I appreciate it so very much!!

Katie Bug - I would love to name him Adam, but DH isn't a fan. He knew someone that he didn't really adore with that name. I just love that idea though! I love that your son will have your husband's name for his middle name - that is so special!

michelle ellis said...

Liz - I love your names! They are all unique, but classic too!

Lindsey - that is a wonderful idea! Thank you! Hubby appreciates the encouragement for the name Rhys :)

Heather said...

SOme of our sweet friends have a son named Houston! I loved Melody when I was a little girl too! Love this and your blog!

Tiffany said...

I love the name Grace as well! It was a top name on our girl list before we found out we were having a boy. My husband suggested the name Bryce at one point. But, I like Houston. Thinking of names is so much fun.

I also agree with you that you will just know when the time is right to start your family!