Wednesday, May 26, 2010

30 Day Husband Encouragement Challenge - Day 25

Good morning Ladies!

Happy Wednesday!  I cannot believe it is already Wednesday.  Truthfully, it's because I took a sick day on Monday.  I got a summer cold that started on Thursday, and I am *almost* done with it.  I think summer colds are just the worst.  Trust me, I don't care for Winter colds either, but there is just something about sweating to death outside that doesn't make me want to curl up on the couch with a cup of tea or a bowl of soup.  Anyway, here is our Day 25 -

"Seek peace, and pursue it." Psalm 34:14b

"You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You." Isaiah 26:3

Before you consider whether these verses describe your husband, consider your own presence in the home.  Do you promote an atmosphere of peace, or do critical words often flow from your mouth?  Do you struggle with anger?  If so, before you continue with this challenge, confess these sinful habits to the Lord, and determine to speak words of peace to your family today.

Does your husband bring an atmosphere of peace into your home?  Is his presence a calming infulence?  Does he bring music, entertainment, books or people into your home that build a sense of serentity?  Let him know how much you appreciate this wonderful quality, and support his choices.

If, on the other hand, he is quickly angered or he creates chaos rather than calm, ask God to give you an abundance of the kind of peace that will speak to his heart.  Be patient and loving.  Create an inviting atmosphere of peace, as much as possible.

I always try to keep peace in our home.  But, it's hard.  I bottle things up - and about once every few months, it all comes tumbling out over something so small and insignificant.  I despise that I do this, and I pray for God to always let me handle things with Grace, Patience and Love.  But, I'm not perfect.  Thank goodness hubby is quick to forgive me.

Hubby is very quick tempered.  He does not keep things in, and if he is mad - you will know it right then and there.  He isn't hateful, but he expresses how he feels and is very animated.  There are good and bad things to this, just like there are to my way of coping.  The bad - I do not like yelling.  I grew up in a home with no yelling.  Ever.  My parents never yelled at each other, so I don't understand this behavior.  But, I'm learning that it is how he expresses himself and that is who he is.  It isn't meant to hurt or make anyone feel badly, that is just how he knows to express anger.  The good - after he gets it out - it's all over and done.  Truly.  I have never seen anything like it.  Once he vents, it is truly over.  I am trying to learn from this quality - the forgiving and forgetting - or for lack of better words - "just getting over it". 

We are learning each other, and I am constantly praying that I understand him better, and that I deal with anger with more grace, patience and love.

Who keeps the peace in your home?  Are you like us?  Do you have different ways of expressing anger or coping with it?

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you have a wonderful day!

No comments: