Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Egg Cups - Low Carb Eats



As many of you know...I'm a fan of the Atkins diet.  Well, an Atkins way of life actually.  That is literally the only way I can control my weight without devoting the time to a work out schedule.  I know, I know, it's not that good for you...etc, etc.  But, it works for me.  I just got back on the wagon last week, and I've lost 7 lbs.  I bought my first "Mom Swimsuit" this week.  A tankini with a skirt. WTH has happened to me?

Anyway...I love egg cups. When I do low carb, these are something I make every Sunday.  I actually really love them.  And, I can freeze them in baggies, which makes it super convenient to take them to the office during the week.


First, I brown a pound of turkey sausage.  I like the JennieO brand.  Then, I preheat the oven to 350, and spray my square tin with Pam.  You an use a muffin tin too, no big deal at all.  Just MAKE SURE you spray it with pam or olive oil or something.  You will HATE LIFE and NEVER make them again if you don't.  Just sayin'.



Sprinkle the sausage into the tins.  I usually have about half a cup left over, so don't worry if there is a little left.  If you are doing Atkins, you can melt some cheese on it later and call it lunch :)


Then, scramble 9 eggs.  I do what my great grandmamma does, and add "just enough" water to the scrambled eggs to make them "just right".  I also add flax seed and Nature's Seasoning, which I think is one of the best prepackaged seasonings on the market.


Pour the egg mixture over the sausage and then sprinkle a little shredded cheese on top.  Stir it with a fork to make sure the cheese is covered.

Pop in the oven and cook for about 12 minutes.


Yum!  You can also do these with shredded bacon, or add onions, green peppers, rotel...the baking pan is our oyster!  I'm weird about food getting old, so I pack six of them in a large baggie (for 3 breakfasts) and then freeze the rest in small baggies, 2 in each baggie.  I just put them in the fridge from the freezer the night before, and they are fantastic the next day.

I hope you like them!

No comments: